Friday, December 16, 2005

Travel from North to the South

Friday, 16 December, 7pm

Today I left Chiang Mai and flew south to the Bangkok airport and hired a car to drive me 2 1/2 hours to Pattaya, a beach resort. I will rest and relax for 3+ days. This is appropriate because this place was a small fishing village until the late '60's when the USA armed forces came here for R & R during the Vietnam adventure. Now it is the largest beach resort in SouthEast Asia. A bustling, often sleazy town with lots of visitors. Today walking around a bit I heard many different languages and accents, of course Thai, Japanese, French, American, Aussie, British, various east European, Arabic, Indian...very international.
The weather has cooled down. In Chiang Mai it was pleasant and breezy and very clear yesterday and today. Here it is very breezy and temps seem to be in the high 70's..."cold" the hotel staff is saying. I will go out later and visit and observe the sleaze.

No comments: