Tuesday, December 04, 2012

3rd day in Bangkok, I think...

My flghts lasted a total of 29 hours from my house in San Diego to my Hotel in Bangkok. Arrived at hotel at 2am. The first 2 days I was jet-lagged but today seems normal. Managed to go out each nite but got back late only 1 nite. Fell asleep during a movie the first afternoon after I arrived. A friend from Bali visited with me for 3 days and he left this morning for Pattaya.

Yesterday we got on the Chao Praya River Tourist boat and spent 5-6 hours cruising up and down the river and making several stops...one of which is the Temple of Dawn or Wat Arun pictured above.

There are many street vendors lining the sidewalks at every stop. Many of the vendors bting their kids to work with them.



We stopped and explored one temple complex which was a typical mid-sized Wat:


The courtyard was lined with Buddhas on all 4 sides:

A variety of statues were in the courtyard, one of which I found quite amusing:

On the outside was this array of columns:

The river traffic was varied with speeding long-tailed boats, decorated long-tailed boats for tourists


One interesting thing was on the Skytrain on the way back from the River. School was letting out and this school boy got on and took a place standing in a corner and continued his reading

No comments: