Friday, January 10, 2014

4 Days in Luang Prabang, Laos, Day 1


I had heard very good things about the former royal capital of Laos. It is rare that a place lives up to its praise, but Luang Prabang did. It's a small (population around 30,000) city in northern Laos on the shore of the great Mekong River. It is beautiful, calm, laidback and very tourist friendly with lovely welcoming people.

On the first day, I arrived from Bangkok around noon. I ate lunch at one of the many restaurants along the cliffs above the Mekong and then went for a walk to get oriented.


My walk took me down the riverfront to the tip of the peninsula where the Khan River runs into the Mekong River. There is a monastery complex...Wat Xieng Thong... there that is very beautiful...the top photo is of the outside of the main building. Here are some photos of the decoration on the window shutters, a mosaic on the walls:







A stunning depiction of Nagas mythical half lion half serpent object:


The front of another building with the interior containing a Buddha representation:

Further on during my walk, I just kept stumbling on gorgeous buildings decorated beautifully:



And near the end of the walk I found the typical child in the back of a pickup among cases of empty beer bottles:

     

No comments: