Thursday, January 13, 2011

Excursion to the Similan Islands


My last day on Phuket was filled with a daylong trip to the Similan Islands National Park. These islands are a 1 hour and 30 minute ride by speedboat from the northern tip of Phuket Island...and I do mean "speedboat" outfitted with three 225 horsepower Honda outboard motors.  It was a surprisingly smooth journey on a smooth sea. The water is clear and beautiful with extraordinary varieties of fish and coral; they are reputed to be one of the premier scuba diving spots in the world. We spent time lounging on a couple of lovely beaches and snorkeling in a couple of different spots.

The weather was cloudy and we passed thru a rain squall on the way out to the islands:

But when we got to the islands the squall was over and we 1st stopped at a beach:


The snorkeling was magnificent. I saw the most fish and the most varieties of fish species any where I have snorkeled. And the amount and variety of coral was the best I have seen.


On the island where we had lunch there was a tranquil prayer house:

It was a long day but well worth it. Tomorrow I return to Bangkok.

No comments: