Saturday, January 04, 2014

Protestors announce shutdown of Bangkok on 13 Jan

I have had no notice of any effect of the anti-government protestors during my trip so far. The demonstrations have been very localized to a University and around government ministry offices. Areas nowhere near my hotels or places I visit.
But they have announced plans to "paralyze" Bangkok starting 13 January to shutdown the city by staging protest encampments at 20 different intersections including several that I regularly frequent.
  Although 99% non-violent there have been some random gunshots with 5 innocents killed over the past month in the demonstration areas. So until I leave on 16 Jan, I am getting out of town.
Tomorrow, Sunday, I will go to visit Luang Phrabang, Laos for 4 days. When I return to Thailand I will go to Pattaya (2 hours southeast of BKK) for the last 7 days of my trip.
Laos is supposed to be lovely and hope to have some nice photos.

No comments: