Sunday, May 02, 2010

Hangzhou- West Lake



April 21, Wednesday

Today I arranged a day trip to Hangzhou, a city of 4.5 million people about 100km southwest of Shanghai because it is the home of the storied West Lake which is reputed to be one of the most beautiful places in China.
We lucked out because even though rain was predicted for the whole day, we just had some high clouds without any rain......I suppose the fact that I took 2 umbrellas with me had no bearing on this...or did it?

It was a 2 1/2 hour ride each way on a small tour bus from Shanghai for me and the 6 other tourists. Returning we had to pass thru the tight security on the freeway leading into Shanghai as the 2010 Expo world's fair opening was one week away. Also we had a rest stop on the freeway which had the most beautiful urinal I have ever used; one stepped onto a steel grating and you peed onto a glass wall with water running down which flowed under your feet...behind the glass wall was a beautiful landscaped area of flowers and plants. Of course I did not have my camera with me there and would have felt silly returning to the bus for it and thus delaying our journey.

Here are some of the beautiful scenes we observed at West Lake:


On the way back to Shanghai we stopped at a green tea plantation:

5 comments:

khunbaobao said...

Stunning photos - I'll stop in more often!

China is still on my destination Wish List.

TCL65 said...

Great pictures. Hopefully, I will visit China in the near future...

khunbaobao said...

I was back today (8-31-10) going through the China photos again, and there's still a lot of your older posts to sift through. I enjoy your posting style and hope you'll continue to add more here. If you don't mind I'm going to add a link to your site on mine. Best wishes, bao-bao

JSVAN44 said...

Please add a link to my site on your blog! I would be honored.
I enjoy your blog posts and photos a lot.

Anonymous said...

nice pix,but there are no stories in your blog......

Anyway,thanks for message at SD,my profile number is 994480,you can learn more about me at http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/articlelist_1811353704_0_1.html