Friday, November 23, 2007

Hanoi, Viet Nam



I arrived in Hanoi on time after 28 hours from the time I left my home in Del Mar.....with my luggage! I was met by my smiling tour guide Tran Van Bay who got me to my hotel safely.
I rested, we went for a walk, a snack, back to the hotel fo another rest and then dinner.

Hanoi is a busy city of 4 million friendly people with chaotic, noisy traffic mixing mostly motobikes with bicycles and motor cars. It never stops even for the few traffic lights that seem to exist here. Horns are constantly beeping as lane stripes are always ignored. Outrageous maneuvers are accomplished without any sign of road rage. Traffic is extremely entertaining to observe.



We took a walk around Hoan Kiem Lake which is near the colorful Old Quarter. It is quite picturesque in the eerie late afternoon sunlight that is filtered by a mildly polluted haze as is the case in most Asian cities.



This one of several art students we saw on the shoreline attempting to capture the feeling.

We will be here for 3 days experiencing the sites and museums. What is particularly interesting is to get a fresh viewpoint on the "American War" which we will get visiting some museums tomorrow.

No comments: