Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Hanoi Today and Reflections on Indonesia

Tuesday, December 1

Today I arrived in Hanoi to meet my Tour Guide, Tran Van Bay. He was my guide for my trip in northern Vietnam in 2007. This trip I will visit central and southern Vietnam. We will head off to Da Nang and Hoi An tomorrow morning.
Since there are no direct flights from Bali to Hanoi...I guess the Communist Peoples Republic of Vietnam doesn't see the need to allow it's citizens direct access to Bali...I spent the nite near the Kuala Lumpur Airport in Malaysia. I stayed at a Bed & Breakfast run by a retired US Marine and his Malaysian wife. They have a lovely huge home in a modern upscale development about 15 minutes from the airport (which is 40 min from central KL). The roads I saw there were very modern multiple line highways with somewhat sane drivers. I think it would be interesting to visit Malaysia for a few days if it weren't so Muslim.

I thought I would add a few photos from Bali.

This is a scene at the beach near the hotel in Seminyak:


This is a photo by Danny of Del, Moh (my friend from Singapore) and me at a very trendy, beachfront upscale bar and restaurant for lunch called Ku De Ta (pronounced "coup d'etat"):


One evening we went to a Balinese dance ceremony and here are a couple of the dancers:
 

And here is a sunset at the beach on our last day in Bali:
 

No comments: