Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Arrival in Southeast Asia

I have arrived in my Bangkok Hotel after over 24 hours of travel from San Diego.
Most of the trip was very nice....except the last 6 hour leg from Tokyo to Bangkok.
The United flight had to be delayed 13 hours because of Flight Crew work rules......but we weren't informed until 9 hours into the Los Angeles-Tokyo leg. United handled it pretty well arranging to have me and my luggage transferred to a Japan Airlines flight that arrived in Bangkok at the same time as I was originally scheduled. However they couldn't arrange a Business Class seat like I was originally supposed to have.... so I was in Economy during that 6 hours next to the galley with restricted recline seat.
I was in my hotel in the center of Bangkok with 90 minutes of our midnite arrival.

I slept for 4+ hours and called my Cousin Jean Walzer, the 81yo who is retired here, to arrange a meeting. I had purchased and brought with me about 10 bottles of he favorite Trader Joe's vitamins and minerals as well as a bottle of her favorite 12 yo single malt scotch. We met at the Four Seasons for lunch at a wonderful Italian restaurant. I transferred the "goods" to her and we talked and ate for a couple of hours. This is the evidence:

This afternoon I will nap a bit and go out this evening. Hope to have my brain in this time zone in a day or two.
Tomorrow I must be at the airport at 6am for a flight to Hanoi, Vietnam to meet my guide, Tran Van Bay.

No comments: